Wednesday 14 January 2015

Tuesday, last full day in Chile.

We Started the day by heading out on the subway towards Plaze De Armes.  This time,everything was   open, so we wandered the shops for a few hours.   Around lunch time, we started searching for a relatively famous empanada shop I had read about.  Trying to find Empanadas Zunino wasnt too easy.  We walked around looking the the general area until we finally gave up the seek method and went to search... Google search.   We stopped outside a starbucks, hopped onto wifi and found the address.   When we got there, it turns out it is attached to the outside of Mercado Central.  None of the reviews etc said this, which would have been easy to remember,  We went in to this crazy, totally packed place and ordered an emanada pino and a queso each.  Then we found a standing counter to eat at.   Now, it is pretty hard for me to say if these empanadas are actually the best, but they are good, very good. The settting was pretty neat though, as the place has apparently been in continual operation by the same family since 1930.
   After lunch, we went to the Museo Chileno de Art Pre Colombino.   We spent over an hour in here looking at art from pre-European settlement (settlement sounds better than conquest or genocide so we will use that). The museo had representions from pretty much all cultures from Mexico down, and some pieces were quite elaborate.  
  After the museum we walked around a little more, checking out various outdoor markets and such,  at about 4pm we headed back to our hotel.  I left Carolyn at the hotel and jumped onto the subway to go see Juan, or motorcycle sales guy from our last trip.  Juan is now the manager of andifferent location, which was easy to find and close to the subway.  When I arrived, Juan was in an office upstairs and I asked to see him.  At first, the lady I spoke to almost didnt seem to want to get him, then I told her I was from Canada and had bought bikes from Juan the previous year.  Another guy in the shop jumped up to help, having heard about us from Juan at some point.  When Juan came down, he was most surprised to see me, and very friendly.  We spoke for about 20 minutes in English/Spanish/sign language.  
  At about 8 pm we headed out to Bella Vista for dinner. Our cab driver on the way there just kept talking to me in Spanish, it was like he was forcing me to speak it more.  We ended up having quite a decent conversation during the 10 minute ride.  He was a charming and friendly man and probably got the best of my Spanish during the entire trip. Carolyn just sat in the cab smiling while he chuckled a little knowing she had no idea what we were talking about.
 We Sat down for dinner at one of the sidewalk restaurants, Carolyn ordering grilled Chicken with me ordering Grilled Chicken ala pobre (with an egg on top). As time passed waiting for our food. We joked once again about Chilean time. I made the run of the mill joke that they probably had to catch the chicken, Carolyn replied with "they caught it a while ago, now they are waiting for it to lay a damn egg for the top of your meal".  When the meal finally arrived it was fantastic.  I'm not sure what Chileans do to the chicken, but it is a boneless skinless fillet grilled and I dont think with much seasoning, but delicious.  During dinner Carolyn comments on how much a girl near us looked like a someone Ali went to school with, which reminded me of a few days earlier.   We had stopped at a gas station and this girl gets out of a car who was a complete doppelganger for one of Warren's daughters (the middle one).  Now I am sure any of you who know Warren's girls are thinking I was probably just confused and think all Latin Americans look alike, but I'm actually pretty good.   I can tell all 3 of his girls apart AND know their names.   Anyways, so this girl gets out of the car, looks completely like the middle one but is dressed like an uber skank.  For a split second I was going to go over and say "what the hell are you doing in Chile and why do you look like a hooker". Then I realized she was standing about 3" taller than me with only 4 inches of it from the slut healed shoes, so she was way too tall to be one of Warren"s.  Now personally, I really dont mind and am sometimes a huge supporter of women who dress in this manner, but not when they are the same age as my daughter.  It was so creepy how much this girl looked like the middle one though that I almost attempted to get a photo, then I realized that the only creepy thing in this situation would be the middle aged ginger-top snapping pictures of scantily clad young women, so common sense prevailed.
Anyways...enough sidetrack rant, the chicken was delicious.











No comments:

Post a Comment